Sunday, May 8, 2011

Family of Isaac Levin and Sarah Michalowitz - David

In honor of Mother's day, today, I'll discuss the family of Isaac and Sarah.

Isaac and Sarah married in 1884, as mentioned before.  They had 9 children, 5 boys and 4 girls, between 1885 and 1900.

David Levin was the oldest son, born in 1885 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. According to the 1910 census, he married about 1908 and was living in Minneapolis with his wife Hildegard and daughter Rosalie.

I have some question regarding whether this is the same David Levin, since the last name on the census is spelled   LeVine.  However, other details certainly are consistent. 

I have not found later Census records for David.  I did find a draft registration card for WW II, for a David Levine, living in Portland Oregon.  This record has a matching birth date and location, but does not list his wife as contact.  Instead it lists a Lillian S. Levine as the contact.  I don't have any additional information on David.




Etta Levin Straus was the oldest daughter, born in May, 1886, according to census records.  I could not locate a birth record for her in either Minneapolis or St. Paul.  In 1907, she married Louis Straus and had their first daughter, Evelyn, two years later.  Myron was born in 1912, and Dorothy in 1913.  By this time, they had moved to Ashley, South Dakota, where they had a store.  Later they moved to Kansas City where Etta died in 1973. 

I was fortunate to have been in correspondence with Evelyn not long before she died in 1994.  She was a wealth of information and sent me many of the pictures I'm posting here.

The picture is of Etta and her husband Louis from around 1937. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to find info on Dorothy, maybe Evelyn would have said something. Do you know if she had a son named Louis Stroer (b. 1940) ? I think they changed the surname, from Straus to Stroer, about 1950 to 1955. I could be way off base here but I can't find a Dorothy Stroer and I know they live in Jackson County, KC, MO. Thanks for any help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, the only information I have for Dorothy is the last name of her husband, Meadows. Perhaps someone else will read this and comment?

    Thanks for posting!

    Regards,

    Ken Levin

    ReplyDelete